You now have all the tools to bake cookies at home. However, did you check whether you have the ingredients in your kitchen to prepare some delectable cookies? Here are the things that you need to bake cookies.
- Flour – The all-purpose wheat flour is used to bake cookies as the wheat gluten gives a structure to the baked cookies. Make sure that you keep the flour in a sealed zip-top bag and chill it so that the wheat germ in the whole wheat does not go rancid.
- Cornstarch- This is a fine and powdery starch that is made using the finely ground corn kernels. The cornstarch is used as a thickening agent. This is added to the flour in order to give it a light texture. If it is sealed and kept in a cool and dry place then this can stay fresh for a long time.
- Oats – It is not preferred to use instant oats in cookies because it affects the texture and the cooking time of the cookies. Instead, you may use the old-fashioned ones that are made using the whole oat kernels that are rolled. It can also be made when you flatten the oat groat bits.
- Baking Soda and Baking Powder – Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate are used as a leavening agent in the cookies. This is an alkaline ingredient. When some acidic ingredient is added to the batter, then it releases carbon dioxide that creates airy and light baked cookies.
- Cream of Tartar is used as a leavening agent too. This byproduct of wine is used in stabilizing the whipped egg whites.
- Spices are needed to bake cookies. You can buy the whole spices and grind them when you need them.
- Sugars – You may choose to use the granulated sugar, the castor sugar that is superfine, powdered sugar or brown sugar.
- Syrups- You may need some corn syrup or molasses to offer sweetness to the cookies. Make sure you have them in your kitchen.
- Cream – Whipped cream and heavy cream are used to make cookies. It needs to be mixed with the batter and whipped.
- Milk – You will need the reduced fat or fresh whole milk that works for cookies. You may also use the evaporated milk that is canned. Sweetened condensed milk can also be used.
- Eggs – You need eggs to bake cookies. Eggs are a leavener when the moisture in it gets evaporated when it is baked. The fat in the egg helps to emulsify the batter and it adds richness to the baked cookies. The egg white helps to stabilize the dough and it gives it a structure.
- Oil – You need an oil that has a neutral flavour and a high smoke point.
- Butter – Butter contains milkfat and it could be salted, unsalted, or whipped. You may want to avoid the whipped butter to bake cookies because it has a lot of air in it and this does not let you take an accurate measurement to bake cookies.
For more information on how you can bake delicious cookies in your home kitchen, visit their official website to try out the various recipes of cookies or come up with something of your own.